Checked out conditions of some local areas last few days;

  Thompson River Wetlands - lots of water and dead vegetation, though water was running out pretty good from main pool due to damage to two of the control structures. There were several fair sized trees that had been washed out from the river and deposited in the eastern part of the area. Heard PB Grebes calling in part where they nested few years ago. Songbirds were active in spite of sections where most of leaves were dead on bottom four+ feet of trees and shrubs where water stood for too long.   Saw / heard about a dozen Bell's Vireos and 4 -5 YB Chats along the dirt road. Two of the Chats were together and I found a nest nearby but was nothing in it. Saw a Wilson's Warbler and several Yellow Warblers. Heard Alder Flycatcher calling, also Bobwhite and many of the other more expected birds.

   Fountain Grove CA  -  roads open but still lot of muddy flood water though here too control gates were open and water rushing out of main pools. Didn't look like as much damage done as I feared but will take awhile for things to recover.

  Pershing State Park - Flooding wasn't as bad here, actually looked pretty normal [ whatever that is?]  certainly wetter than last couple years. Dianne and dog and I walked boardwalk this morning - several Prothonatory Warblers along the way as well as Acadian Flycatchers, Pewees, Red-eyed Vireos, Carolina Wrens, BG Knatchers. Heard Wood Thrush, Am. Redstarts, and couple Yellow-bellied Flycatchers. Saw a very quiet Pileated Woodpecker.

   Swan Lake NWR - Refuge is open but some interior roads still closed. Less structural damage than expected here too. Swan Lake pool is big muddy empty lake with all marsh habitat gone for now. Saw a few Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons, lots of Yellow Warblers and Indigo Buntings along the roads. Heard Willow Flycatcher off Sw corner of Silver Lake and a Bell's Vireo just inside main entry. Looked pretty good toward East side of area - still no Yellow - crowned Night Heron that we saw anyway though was after 11am by time we got there today.

   Came back through SE part of Livingston County on way home and saw pair of Scissortail Flycatchers on fence along hyw JJ. This is close to where they nested last year. Saw one female Scissortail where the other pair nested nearby along gravel road. She flew up to tree where I could still see last years nest. Did not see Male but think he is probably around. Saw couple Bobolinks in a hayfield along same gravel rd. and heard a Sedge Wren South side of JJ.

  Later, Steve Kinder
  Chillicothe, Livingston Co.