It was a slow day in Tower Grove Park.  The only birds singing seemed to be Eastern Wood Peewees, a Great Crested Flycatcher that shut up or left the area before 830am and plenty of Am Robins plus the unmentionable starlings and Common Grackles.  We also heard Red-eyed Vireos and saw a few female Am Redstarts and one or two Magnolia Warblers.  The number of thrushes seemed to have decreased.  One of the Coopers Hawks was sitting exposed on a high branch just north of the Gaddy Garden. Two Red-tailed Hawks were circling over the stables area.  The gorgeous Red-headed Woodpecker was flashing his colors between the grove and the ditch in the northwest end of the park.

  We drove down to 2nd and Sidney Streets, but the Western Kingbird that Sherry had found Saturday, I had seen Sunday, and Rose Ann had seen Monday or Tuesday was a no-show.

  On to Indian Lake off Collinsville Rd in Illinois where we saw a pair of Wood Ducks, Great Egrets, a Snowy Egret, Little Blue Herons but no Yellow-crowned in the area.  We had lunch at Horseshoe Lake State Park while enjoying a few Black Terns hunting along with various swallows and Great Blue Herons.  We did find a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher near part of the Walker Island trail, warbling vireos were singing, but migrant warblers Sherry had seen Saturday had apparently headed north with the TGP birds.  We checked the museum area across from Monks Mound and saw several Cattle Egrets for the day list and for a few year lists..

  Sure I missed some birds seen and heard.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County