My past experience with rescue: move everything red down to the floor near
the garage door.  Place a hummingbird feeder inside the garage down near the
garage door entrance.  They usually will fly to it fairly quickly and then
leave the garage if the feeder is low enough to see outside.  One usually
will not go to a feeder on the floor, however.  It must be a few feet off
the floor.  If the bird reaches exhaustion, simply place the tip of the
bird's bill into the nectar.  It will drink while you hold it.  You may take
the hummer outside and set it on the perch of the feeder where it usually
sits, rests, and drinks until recovery.
Keep your garage door closed if this is a frequent problem.  The car tail
lights and anything red will attract the hummer into the garage.  I used to
have the problem when I planted red flowering pentas, which attracted
hummers, beside the garage.  There was also a red plastic pull handle on the
tip of the rope for the garage door disconnect.  They would fly to that
handle inside the garage every time the door opened even if just a few
minutes.  Once, I opened the door, pulled the car inside, closed the door,
and found a hummer had entered also, that quickly.

Tommie Rogers
Mound City, MO