Report for Sat May 19, 2007

Hi MOBirders:

I joined the St. Louis Audubon Society field trip to Columbia Bottom CA (St.
Louis County), led by John Solodar, and helped a little by spotting a flock
of shorebirds that included LEAST SANDPIPER (14) and WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER
(17); a PEREGRINE FALCON that attacked the shorebirds in an exciting
display; a singing, immature male BLUE GROSBEAK; and, a noisily vocal
GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE (although I heard more than one).  Also saw a
perched-up and singing GRASSHOPPER SPARROW close to the main road, not far
from the river trail parking lot.

Later, drove through St. Louis city and stopped to watch WESTERN KINGBIRDs
(3) outside the main door of the Procter & Gamble facility on Grand, between
McKissock and Hall (the building has blue awnings).  Two security ladies --
lovely ladies, actually -- came out to ask, mainly out of curiosity, what I
was doing.  I showed them the field guide picture and range map, and both
took a scope look.  One lady almost shouted, "Oh, I can see the yellow
belly!"

Then the exchange went like this.

"So you're a birdwatcher?"
"Yep."
"I've never actually met a birdwatcher before.  This is something I should
get my kids into."

I gave them each handouts for the St. Louis Audubon Society and the Audubon
Society of Missouri.

I've posted a couple of photos of the kingbirds, plus I threw in one of a
Bald Eagle I took near Riverlands in February.

Photos here:  http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/gallery/2873058#154215274

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO