You may be correct, Peter, for in the case of Wallace Stevens, his  daughter,
Holly, hotly denied the deathbed conversion scenario attributed to her
father.  Though, of course, a person becoming a Christian on his deathbed  is far
different than a healthy person doing so as a matter of belief.  So,  the
conversion story, whether true or not, is irrelevant and Holly  shouldn't have
taken it so much to heart, but I believe that she was attempting  to  protect her
father's reputation as a poet with her adamant  denials.

Regards,

Kate

In a message dated 5/13/2007 3:09:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,