From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Richard Seddon
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: The life in the poem Was: New Topic

Dear Nancy

Reading a poem is multi-tasking to me

There is the poem and the enjoyment I get from the rhythms and the sounds of the words.  This doesnít change  with knowledge.

When I finish a poem I am left with an overall impression, call it an unworded understanding, a feeling about the poem.  This is unchanged with knowledge of the poetís life or circumstances.  It is changed by knowledge of another readerís impression.

There is the a worded meaning of what  I understand from a poem.  That changes with additional readings and with insight from others readings.  It changes little from my understanding better the details of a poetís life

Then there is the detail in the poem.  Who was Marie?  Why the other languages?  What about the Tarot pack?  Etc, etc, etc.  This is of course greatly affected by background knowledge of the poet.

I enjoy good poetry for the richness that good poetry brings to each of these tasks.

Rick Seddon

Portales, New Mexico

USA

Checked by AVG Free Edition.