It's to you, Diana, that I must raise my songs of thanks.
You have often lifted my spirits when they're sagging --
and sometimes they sag long enough ! Your enthusiasm for
what is best in Eliot's poetry is infectious, indeed !
It fortifies my faith and joy in Eliot's poetic genius.
I cannot thank you enough, my dear, for your valuable
companionship in this journey of poetic exploration !

The List will kindly excuse this outburst of sentiments.

Regards,

CR

Dear CR: Many thanks for your link to "Nudge-Winking" and for your comments. You always deepen my already-deep love for his works of genius. His gift is stunning. I just re-read "Ash Wednesday" and was awed all over again.
"And the lost heart stiffens and rejoices
In the lost lilac and the lost sea voices
And the weak spirit quickens to rebel
For the bent golden-rod and the lost sea smell
 Quickens to recover
The cry of the quail and the whirling plover."
His end-rhymes are so deft one may not realize on first reading that the poem has a definite rhyme-scheme: aa bb cc. The fact that these images come from his youth in the Gloucester of "The Dry Salvages" makes them even more poignant.
Diana