From:  cr mittal <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: "Raine's sterile thunder"
Date:  Sat, 5 May 2007 12:42:20 -0700

I too find it incredibly wonderful, Diana, that a Marxist critic focuses

on what truly matters in Eliot's poetry, cautioning scholars to steer

clear of the artificial barriers that stand in the way of our appreciating

Eliot's true greatness as a poet. As Peter Montgomery rightly points

out, Eagleton's focus is always on the work: he has "simply evaporated

some of the impeding steam".

But there's a moot point that maybe solves the mystery --

Eliot may be a Royalist but it's not part of the poet's raids

on the unconscious, or his archetypal symbols, or his concern

with time and eternity. Yes, there are hints of Royalism in Little

Gidding -- but it's a broken king in a state of disillusionment with

the world -- or, as in Murder in the Cathedral -- it's the Church

that triumphs over temporal Monarchy -- there are streaks in

Eliot where Eagleton would find common grounds of compassion

(mark the Chorus of Canterbury women lamenting the plight of

the underdog).

Regards,

CR

Peter and CR: What do you make of the fact that Eagleton is a Marxist critic interpreting the poetry of a self-avowed Royalist? Diana

TV dinner still cooling?