I roam the whole universe from here. - Han-shan

Charles Simic

Description of a Lost Thing

It never had a name,
Nor do I remember how I found it.
I carried it in my pocket
Like a lost button
Except it wasnít a button.

Horror movies,
All-night cafeterias,
Dark barrooms
And poolhalls,
On rain-slicked streets.

It led a quiet, unremarkable existence
Like a shadow in a dream,
An angel on a pin,
And then it vanished.
The years passed with their row

Of nameless stations,
Till somebody told me this is it!
And fool that I was,
I got off on an empty platform
With no town in sight.

*

A good set of tasks.
For me, somewhere in there is the element of universality,
... getting in touch with the sense of connectedness to past and future and to
the human condition in general. Because 9/11 the image of falling towers
is reinforced....

Cheers,
Peter