I roam the whole universe from here. - Han-shan

  Charles Simic

Description of a Lost Thing

It never had a name,
Nor do I remember how I found it.
I carried it in my pocket
Like a lost button
Except it wasnít a button.

Horror movies,
All-night cafeterias,
Dark barrooms
And poolhalls,
On rain-slicked streets.

It led a quiet, unremarkable existence
Like a shadow in a dream,
An angel on a pin,
And then it vanished.
The years passed with their row

Of nameless stations,
Till somebody told me this is it!
And fool that I was,
I got off on an empty platform
With no town in sight.

*

      @font-face {   font-family: Cambria Math;  }  @font-face {   font-family: Calibri;  }  @font-face {   font-family: Consolas;  }  @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; }  P.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman","serif"  }  LI.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman","serif"  }  DIV.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman","serif"  }  A:link {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlink {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99  }  A:visited {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99  }  PRE {   FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: "Courier New";
 mso-style-priority: 99; mso-style-link: "HTML Preformatted Char"  }  SPAN.HTMLPreformattedChar {   COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Consolas; mso-style-priority: 99; mso-style-link: "HTML Preformatted"; mso-style-name: "HTML Preformatted Char"  }  SPAN.EmailStyle19 {   COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-type: personal-reply  }  .MsoChpDefault {   FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-style-type: export-only  }  DIV.Section1 {   page: Section1  }      A good set of tasks.
  For me, somewhere in there is the element of universality,
  ... getting in touch with the sense of connectedness to past and future and to
  the human condition in general. Because 9/11 the image of falling towers
  is reinforced....

  Cheers,
  Peter