Carrol, as a topic for academic treatment the theme of conflict and resolution with regard to religious faith may be as dismissable as you imply, but as a unifying principle in poetry it is a legacy Eliot left for working poets to follow who deal in that subject. Academics and artists often approach texts differently. Diana

.

From:  Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: autobiography & 4Q
Date:  Mon, 14 May 2007 10:08:36 -0500
Diana Manister wrote:

> Nancy, it seems to me that, taken collectively, Eliot's work up to the
> 4Qs can be seen as a dramatic narrative of a character searching for
> faith.

The trouble with such sweeping assrtions (better left to freshman
themes) is that whether true or not they don't say anything. Myself, I
think Eliot's poetry encapsulates an heroic but struggle to achieve the
perfect recipe for butterscotch pudding.

Carrol

Catch suspicious messages before you open themówith Windows Live Hotmail.