Perhaps the best first step would be to clarify what is meant by a
"nonlinear fashion" in the context of "receiving the polyphonic works
of Johan(n) Sebastian (presumably) Bach".  The architectonic aspects
of his polyphony do not seem to be "nonlinear" in any of the
mathematical senses of the term, and to listen to polyphony in the
"non-chronological" sense of nonlinearity would seem to simply
decompose the music into something that is in fact non-polyphonic.

Charles