DELETE  if you are not one of the "flower lovers" who birded with Loretta McClure Sunday morning at Montauk.

A sincere apology to my fellow wild flower lovers on that walk who shared their find of a wonderful native Missouri orchid.

I am the big-mouthed person who so positively identified the orchid as an Adam and Eve or Putty Root.............WRONG!  In the back of my mind, I kept thinking about my quick I.D. and started to doubt it.  Immediately after getting home, I got the Missouri Orchids book and checked it out. To me what we saw looked most like  Coral Root..........not Adam and Eve or Putty Root.  (I think the word "Coral" did pass my lips but I quickly shunted it aside.)  One of the gals did question my I.D. with the reasoning that "Adam & Eve blooms in the fall" but I said they bloomed in the spring with their foliage coming up in the fall.  Although she was right and  it wasn't an A&E, at least I wasn't totally wrong as, according to the Bill Summers guide book, A&E does  bloom in spring (mid-May to early June) and send up its leaf in the fall which stays "evergreen" all winter.

Missouri Orchids, pg. 70......to me it looks like our plant, had no normal leaves, was growing along a stream in the Ozarks, the stem was brownish, purple-red and, thanks to the gentleman who used his magnifier to get a good look, we know that the petals were flecked with purple.  They say this species "tends to be colonial."  Were there any more plants there?  Also, although it isn't shown as occurring in Dent Co., it has occurred in Shannon, Texas, Pulaski and Phelps, all of which border on Dent.

For me, another lesson relearned!

If you are one of the group to whom I am referring, please reply directly to me off list at [log in to unmask]   Thanks.

Myrna Carlton
Chillicothe, MO
Livingston County