What's the shorebird habitat situation at Squaw Creek? When I was there
about 10 days ago, it appeared that the main pool on the east side was being
drawn down. However, all of the posts I have seen have pertained to Snow
Goose Pool. Are they creating shorebird habitat this year, as they usually
do? If so, where is it and how is it coming along?

How about Bob Brown? Is it worth visiting?

Ditto for Schell Osage and 4-Rivers. A week ago, both were flooded. If the
flooding recedes, there should be good shorebird habitat at both WMAs. But
we have had a lot of rain recently. If it also hit Schell Osage and
4-Rivers, they're probably still flooded and Squaw Creek is probably the
place for us Kansas City area birders to go.

Finally, how have the recent rains impacted Bean Lake? The St. Joseph
oxbows? In recent years, there has also been good shore birding there. Also
at Lewis & Clark S.P. until last year. The last time I was at Bean Lake
(about a week ago) area at the west end that was shallow sheet water last
year was bare dry mud and the marshy area that held so many egrets (and both
glossy ibises) lat year, did not look so good. My guess is that, if the
rains have covered the dry mud area, it may take a while for the
invertebrates on which shore birds feed to become established, but it could
once again be good. Any wisdom about Bean Lake and/or the St. Joseph oxbows
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri