The Saturday group went to the Busch Wildlife/Weldon Springs area to make up for getting rained out last week.  We started at the Blue Grosbeak Trail.  There were few new birds there, but we did get Green Heron and a migrating Palm Warbler.  We moved on to Lost Valley where things were much more active.   At the start of the trail, there were active Parula and Yellow-throated Warblers feeding and interacting low in the trees.  The larger trees do not have much foliage yet and the birds were staying much lower than usual.  The true highlight, however, was further down after the fork near the small stream across the trail.  There were two incredibly cooperative Worm-Eating Warblers that both gave the entire group extended views at close range, while singing and eating.  We also say a Ovenbird sitting and singing high in a tree, which caused some confusion as to its identity.  Somehow, one does not expect to see an Ovenbird 50 feet up in a tree.  Most of the other breeding warblers and a few migrants were also present and seen or heard including Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and Ruby-crowned Kinglet (not warblers of course), and Yellow-rumped, Louisiana Waterthrush, Blue-winged Warbler, Kentucky Warbler (heard), and Black-and-White (heard and possibly seen briefly).  There were multiple White-eyed Vireos and also Red-eyed Vireo and Summer Tanager along the trail and a FOY Indigo Bunting.  Fallen Oak nature trail at Busch produced more of the same.
A quick visit to the new county park off DD near Busch (which has a long name) did not find anything new, but the area looks promising for birds.
A couple of us then when out to REDA to look for the Willet reported earlier and found it plus both Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpiper, Golden Plover, Baird's Sandpiper and what appeared to be a Dunlin in non-breeding plumage on the mudflats near the dam.

Over all a very good day for April.

David Becher
Saint Louis