Am 19.04.2007 um 20:58 schrieb cr mittal:

Thanks, Diana.  Of special interest, as the note says, is the recording of TWL:

"The recording of 'The Waste Land' presented here is a particularly exciting find. It dates from 1935, a decade earlier than the well-known and much more widely available 1946 recording. Whilst the sound quality is understandably not so good, the recording is fascinating for Eliot's faster, more energetic rendition. Listening to this urgent interpretation blows the dust of this iconic poem and helps us encounter it afresh. "

~ CR

A comprehensive collection of Eliot audios, including a complete reading of The Waste Land, is now available at:

Diana

.

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Thank you, Diana -- what a treasure!

Since I have memorized 4Q as one of my favorite poems I have immediately noticed a variance in TSE's rendition of  EC V:

"So here I am, in the middle way, having had twenty years--
Twenty years largely wasted, the years  of "l'entre deux guerres" (why is the mandatory comma missing?)
Trying to learn  to use words, (...)"

In my opinion, the surprise of adding "to learn" not only improves the rhythm of the stanza, but also its "music" (consider "learn" and "words"!). Perhaps that was his subconscious and  involuntary improvement of the poem.

Thanks again, dear Diana!

Best,

Gunnar