Dear Gunnar,

  [I had no idea using my acronym could be problematic -- it sounded good
  to my friends (no dig here). Well, you may use my first name -- Chanan --
  which has mostly been used in my family circle.]

  Thanks for sharing your experience of the the two recordings.
  I entirely agree with your observations. To me it was a "great experience"
  listening to a younger Eliot.

  Frankly speaking, I'm not enamoured of Eliot reading his own poems.
  I find his recordings, for the most part, rather monotonous and, at
  places, flawed.

  I'd rather (as David Boyd recommended) one could hear Paul Scofield's
  readings for the BBC of 4Q and TWL. Let me reproduce what David wrote
  to me:

  "the British Broadcasting Corporation publish it as 2 cdroms.
  Scofield reading 4Q was originally broadcast separately on BBC Radio 3
  about 8 years ago and from that I recorded a cassette from the radio
  which transferred [very crudely] to digital sound files/cdrom. This year
  I stumbled across a BBC recordings store on a visit to London and was
  more than delighted to find that it had been published properly on cdrom
  in I think 2003 in recognition of P Scofield's 80th birthday [that waste
  sad time thing again I suppose], along with TWL. I do think it's a most
  impressive version indeed: IMHO it's the poetic equivalent of Judy Collins
  doing Bob Dylan - once one has heard that, all other versions sound
  rather flawed."

  Regards,

  CR