Marcia, it would be Eliot's pain if indeed he were impotent.
The fun here lies in the word-play between "impotence" and
"importance".

Regards.

CR

Marcia Karp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I can see how this is of interest, but fun?  To laugh ironically at Eliot's pain?

I'm sorry not to see the fun.  Where is it?

Marcia

cr mittal wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">
Some fun -- by accident or design

"He [Pound] wants me to bring out a Vol. after the War," Eliot enthused to
Aiken in late September 1914, adding ruefully: "The devil of it is that I have
done nothing good since J. A[lfred] P[rufrock]. and writhe in impotence"
(LOTSE, 58). Pound immediately grasped Eliot's importance, and he was
soon laboring to get all his early poems into print. More important, his
encouragement had rekindled Eliot's ambitions...

            ~ Lawrence Rainy, Introduction to The Annotated Waste Land

Need Mail bonding?