This is the notice, sent out monthly with the TSE FAQ, to confirm
your list membership.
To confirm, simply point your browser to the following URL:

http://web.missouri.edu/~materert/TSEconfirm.htm

The TSE FAQ
(T. S. Eliot Discussion List Frequently Asked Questions File)

This is the latest draft of a monthly informational posting for TSE,
the T. S. Eliot Discussion Forum. "Monthly" in the sense of "updated
about once a year." At present, it is an FAQ for the TSE list only,
not for Eliot's life and works. Questions and suggestions are
welcome, and may be sent to either Greg Foster
<[log in to unmask]> or Timothy Materer <[log in to unmask]>.

CONTENTS

    1. Introduction: What is TSE? Why?
    2. How to Subscribe, Unsubscribe, and Post to the List.
    3. Guidelines for Posting.
    4. Accessing the List Archives.
    5. Making the Listserv Do Your Bidding.
    6. The TSE List Home Page
    7. Where Can I Find More Information?

1. INTRODUCTION: WHAT IS TSE? WHY?
     TSE is an electronic discussion list devoted to the works and
life of the Anglo-American poet, playwright, and critic T. S. Eliot
(1888-1965). It was created in November 1995 by two Eliot enthusiasts
at the University of Missouri-Columbia, Greg Foster and Timothy
Materer. The list is unmoderated, and is open to all readers of
Eliot--poets, scholars, students, fans, and the merely curious. In
addition to providing an open forum for conversation about any aspect
of Eliot's poems and other writings, the list will be a resource for
working scholars, who are encouraged to post queries and confer about
work in progress.
2. HOW TO SUBSCRIBE, UNSUBSCRIBE, & POST TO THE LIST:

     A. To SUBSCRIBE to TSE, send a message to
[log in to unmask], leaving the Subject line blank. In the body
of the message, type the single line:

         SUBSCRIBE TSE Yourfirstname Yourlastname

     where "Yourfirstname Yourlastname" is your real name.

     B. To UNSUBSCRIBE, send the following message to
[log in to unmask], again leaving the Subject line blank:

         UNSUBSCRIBE TSE

     You do not have to add your name when unsubscribing.

     If the above command doesn't work: Please contact Greg Foster
<[log in to unmask]>, who is the listowner who handles this sort
of thing. And please be patient. There are a number of reasons why an
unsubscribe request might not work, but none of them is a function of
an arrogant disregard for our listmembers, whatever it may seem to
you. PLEASE DO NOT SEND UNSUBSCRIBE REQUEST AND/OR THREATS TO THE
LIST ITSELF!! This amounts to harassment of several hundred innocent
listmembers, and we will treat it as such.

     C. To POST messages to the list, use the address:
[log in to unmask] N.B. Everything posted by list members to
[log in to unmask] will be automatically distributed to everyone on
the list. For obvious reasons, then (I say again), DO NOT SEND
UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS OR OTHER LIST COMMANDS TO THIS ADDRESS! (For
more information, see Making the Listserv Do Your Bidding, below.)
3. GUIDELINES FOR POSTING:
     TSE is an unmoderated list, which means that we don't screen
your posts before they are distributed to the list of subscribers. We
would like to keep it that way. It is in the interests of all us on
the list, therefore, to adhere to a few basic guidelines based
largely on netiquette:

        1. We encourage wide-ranging discussions about any aspect of
T. S. Eliot's works or life, in addition to works (including our own)
about Eliot and related topics (Modernism, etc). Queries are always
welcome. The best informal criterion is simply that a post's subject
matter should be likely to be of interest to people interested in Eliot.
        2. Readers of all levels are welcome, from novices to
established authorities. Accordingly, a spirit of mutual respect and
tolerance must prevail in our responses to one another. This does not
mean that we are not free to disagree and even to express our
disagreements vehemently; but such expressions must stop short of
personal attacks.
        3. Students submitting queries should remember that this list
is made up of private individuals who post to it in their free time.
Although posts from high school and college students have usually
been thoughtful in every sense of the word, every now and then we get
a post of the form, "Please send me information about 'The Love Song
of J. Alfred Prufrock.' I have a paper due tomorrow." This shows
little consideration for others' time--and for that matter, little
careful consideration of the subject the poster is writing about. Two
basic suggestions: Make your queries as specific as possible, and Try
to ask questions that will open up discussion.
        4. All posts should carry a descriptive Subject line, and
unless the topic under discussion has shifted. (Most mailers
automatically retain Subject lines if you respond by means of the
Reply function.) The primary reason for using descriptive Subject
lines is consideration: not everyone will be interested in every
discussion we have (strange but true!), and those especially who have
to pay for their e-mail or their time online will appreciate the
option of choosing which posts they want to read. Retaining
established Subject lines also enables list members to read threads
of particular interest to them in sequence.
        5. Replies to others' posts should only quote as much of the
original message as is necessary to establish context. To quote the
entire text automatically is often not only to waste bandwidth but
also to inconvenience your fellow list members.

     Those things said, I should also say that on the whole (one or
two unfortunate lapses not withstanding), discussions on the list
over the past year and a half have been models of consideration and
generosity. We have certainly had our disagreements, and we will
continue to have them; but at our best, we are able to enjoy them.
Quite a few friendships have started on the TSE List. We are in good
company.
     Perhaps the most important principle to keep in mind is that a
list like TSE constitutes a self-governed international community.
When disputes (inevitably) arise, we trust in each other's ability to
speak out, knowing that the rest of us are willing to listen and to
do our best to settle them--because we want the conversation to go on.
4. ACCESSING THE LIST ARCHIVES:

     The TSE Archives, originally gopher-accessible and later
searchable through a web-based interface to the MHonArc program, are
now not web-accessible at all. The reasons for this have to do with
conversion to different list software and changes in the local host
of the list website. We hope this unsatisfactory state of affairs is
temporary, especially since the current list software, listserv 1.8e,
incorporates a quite good archiving capability. In the meantime,
recent months can be accessed by email: send a message to
[log in to unmask] with the content GET LISTSERV REFCARD for
more information.
5. MAKING THE LISTSERV DO YOUR BIDDING:
     Send a message to [log in to unmask] with the content GET
LISTSERV REFCARD for more information.

6. THE TSE LIST HOME PAGE:
     The TSE List Home Page is at http://web.missouri.edu/
~umcastselist/, which is probably exactly where you are presently
reading it. In addition to this FAQ, this page is home to an online
concordance to Eliot's Collected Poems and various other resources of
interest to listmembers. Suggestions welcome!
7. MORE INFORMATION:
     A number of internet sites contain useful information on T. S.
Eliot, including biographical summaries, texts (many inaccurate and
posted in violation of copyright laws--be careful!), parodies, and
pictures. For a jumping-off place, try the short list of top-notch
sites listed on our T. S. Eliot Links page.

     TSE subscribers may also be interested in the ModBrits list, a
moderated Internet discussion list devoted to Modern British and
Irish literature, 1895-1955. To subscribe to MODBRITS, send e-mail to

     Another interesting e-list that often touches on Eliot is the
unmoderated Modernism List. To subscribe to the Modernism List, Send
a message of the form SUBSCRIBE MODERNISM FIRSTNAME LASTNAME to
[log in to unmask], leaving the Subject line blank. The
Modernism List also maintains an online FAQ and a List Home Page. Its
archives are accessible on the Web.

     A survey of the many thousands of print resources devoted to
Eliot is beyond the feasible scope of this document, though our
eventual T. S. Eliot FAQ and online bibliography will provide a start
in that direction. (Stay tuned!)

     Finally, please feel free to send questions and suggestions to
the list, or to either of the listowners, Greg Foster
<[log in to unmask]> and Timothy Materer <[log in to unmask]>,
whose e-mail addresses you may have noticed repeated like a mantra
every few lines throughout the foregoing.

Main | Publications | Concordance | Archives | Links
Greg Foster <[log in to unmask]>
TSE: The T. S. Eliot List

Timothy Materer
Department of English