Am 19.04.2007 um 20:58 schrieb cr mittal:

> Thanks, Diana.  Of special interest, as the note says, is the
> recording of TWL:
>
> "The recording of 'The Waste Land' presented here is a particularly
> exciting find. It dates from 1935, a decade earlier than the well-
> known and much more widely available 1946 recording. Whilst the
> sound quality is understandably not so good, the recording is
> fascinating for Eliot's faster, more energetic rendition. Listening
> to this urgent interpretation blows the dust of this iconic poem
> and helps us encounter it afresh. "
>
> ~ CR
>

> Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A comprehensive collection of Eliot audios, including a complete
> reading of The Waste Land, is now available at:
>
> http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoet.do?poetId=7069
>
> Diana
>
> .
>
> Mortgage refinance is Hot. *Terms. Get a 5.375%* fix rate. Check
> savings

> Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Thank you, Diana -- what a treasure!

Since I have memorized 4Q as one of my favorite poems I have
immediately noticed a variance in TSE's rendition of  EC V:

"So here I am, in the middle way, having had twenty years--
Twenty years largely wasted, the years  of "l'entre deux
guerres" (why is the mandatory comma missing?)
Trying to learn  to use words, (...)"

In my opinion, the surprise of adding "to learn" not only improves
the rhythm of the stanza, but also its "music" (consider "learn" and
"words"!). Perhaps that was his subconscious and  involuntary
improvement of the poem.

Thanks again, dear Diana!

Best,

Gunnar