Ken Armstrong wrote:

> No, copying by hand would be monumental. But it would make sense for maybe
> Faber to reproduce the whole thing digitally. I'm just wondering if anyone
> knows whether that or similar has been considered. Is it on microfilm, etc?

Republishing the Criterion would be a task.

I think it is likely that each author of a Criterion essay retained
the copyright.  I'm not sure about U.K. or international copyright
laws but I'm familiar with the U.S. laws.  If the Criterion were a
U.S. publication and I was looking to make a copy this is what I would
have to do:

Check for the copyright ownership of each article (was it owned by the
Criterion or not). If owned by the Criterion then find out who has
been assigned ownership since.

If not owned by Criterion check if each author claimed ownership or
registered the copyright with the Copyright Office.

Find out if each author assigned the copyright to anyone else.

Find out if each owner renewed the copyright and whether the owner is
an individual or a corporation.

Trace ownership to present day (check wills, etc. in maybe a dozen
countries or so.)

Find out when the owner died and see if the work is older than 50?/70?
than that date.
   It's public domain! Publishable.
   It's not :-(  Hire a lawyer and negotiate for publication rights.

Publish copies of the Criterion missing the articles that aren't
public domain or permitted.  Charge an reasonable amount.  Pay off
lawyers, translators, phone bill, media publishers.  Go after digital
prirates.  Finally, lease Scrooge McDuck's money vault and go skiing
down the cash.

That's why my website doesn't republish works published in 1923 or
later.  1922 and earlier is public domain (in the Unitied States.)

Regards,
    Rick Parker