Dear CR: Hearing him read TWL, especially in this version, one experience it primarily as musical sound, bearing out Eliot's own emphasis on the auditory imagination. In addition, "he do the police in different voices," i.e., he plays different characters. The dolorous voice that delivers the passage from Webster's play about the corpse being dug up again is quite different from the one that spits out "Mon semblable, mon frère!"

I also enjoyed his his preliminary remarks on "Journey of the Magi." I don't think these files can be downloaded and saved -- too bad! I would love to put them on a CD. Best, Diana

From:  cr mittal <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Eliot Audios Collected
Date:  Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:58:46 -0700

Thanks, Diana.  Of special interest, as the note says, is the recording of TWL:

"The recording of 'The Waste Land' presented here is a particularly exciting find. It dates from 1935, a decade earlier than the well-known and much more widely available 1946 recording. Whilst the sound quality is understandably not so good, the recording is fascinating for Eliot's faster, more energetic rendition. Listening to this urgent interpretation blows the dust of this iconic poem and helps us encounter it afresh. "

~ CR

A comprehensive collection of Eliot audios, including a complete reading of The Waste Land, is now available at:

Diana

.

Check out
new cars at Yahoo! Autos.