Rick, I have the Miller book and share your enthusiasm for it. I have also recommended it to others. Diana

From:  Rickard A Parker <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Doctor Jean Verdenal died last month
Date:  Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:45:56 -0400
Diana Manister wrote:

> Wonderful information Rick, many thanks for it. I have always
> believed, based on the unusual personal recollection of the friend in
> the Bois that you cite, combined with Eliot's dedication of a volume
> to Verdenal, "mort aux Dardanelles," and Eliot's statement somewhere
> (in an interview?)  that his practice was not to explicitly express
> strong emotion, but to let the pressure of those emotions drive his
> prosody, that The Waste Land is informed throughout by his deep grief
> for this friend he so loved.

Diana,

You should read Miller's "T.S. Eliot's Personal Waste Land" if you
haven't already. I've read it a number of times. I think Miller makes
a wonderful case for a personal interpretation for "The Waste Land."
It was out of print for awhile but is back in print to accompany
Miller's recent biography of Eliot though the early twenties.  I'm not
happy with the later work as ther Miller seems intent on showing that
Eliot was a homosexual but the earlier book is a very good attempt to
avoid such a reading.  His book is what got me into Eliot.

BTW, the the judge and warden say I'll have to be offline for awhile.
(Only a part of this is humor.)

James E. Miller Jr.
T.S. Eliot's Personal Waste Land
Copyright 1977 The Pennsylvania State University
The Pennsylvania State University Press
University Park and London