I know this was covered last year on MoBirds, but I just wanted to remind people about prairie chicken viewing ettiquette, both for other birders and the sake of the birds.

Please, DO NOT WALK UP TO THE BOOMING GROUND!!!  Hen Prairie chickens are very timid and easily frightened away.  The roosters will tolerate people getting closer to the lek than the hens, but the roosters do not lay eggs, and this is why it is important to let nature take its course on the lek. Then hens are at the booming grounds to mate, and if they are scared off, the hen may not mate this spring.  It is not worth jeopardizing a population of birds just to add a bird to your life list, year list or just to get a better look.

  When viewing the birds, talk in low voices, stay as ar away from the birds as possible, and stay in your vehicle if possible.  Do not shout back and forth between cars and groups.  Please just use common sense.  I am doing this more for the birds than the birders.

  I am writing this just as a response to things I have seen people do when they are viewing chickens.

  Neal Young
  Warrensburg, Johnson Co, MO