Dear MoBirders,

I, like Vanessa didn't Believe what I was Hearing either, and I Checked around
the area for quite a while (15-20 min...) trying to Find the Bird I was Hearing.
There were NO Northern Mocking Birds, Gray Catbirds, or European Starlings
(though I wasn't aware that they too were Mimics...???). I also didn't See any
Brown Thrashers, but that doesn't mean they weren't there... The Only Birds
that I did see were (4-5) Sparrows (Species?) fliting about too fast to ID and
a Killdeer... I'm pretty sure that I would have Recognized (ID'd) a Sedge Wren
(I Enjoy Watching Any Wrens that I come across!!!), if I had Seen it, though I
don't know it's call very well to discount it... I just Listened to a Sedge Wren
and Dickcissel Calls on the Cornell Site and though they do Sound somewhat
Similar, the Song/Call that I Heard was Less "Chick, Chick..." (like the Sedge
Wren) and more "Dweek, Dweek..." (like the Dickcissel)... I was going on my
Memory from last year of Driving through EBCA Seeing and Listening to almost
Nothing but Dickcissels CONSTANTLY (I'm Exagerating of course...)!!!
Interestingly enough though, from Memory they sounded a little Different to
me than the Cornell Recording does, More Sharp/Intense Sounding (I
Think...)!!! The Dickcissels that I saw before were Always Showing themselves
off near the top of Stalks/Shrubs/etc. when they were Calling, wereas this Bird
was Nowhere to be Seen, which makes me think that it probably wasn't a
Dickcissel, but who knows...??? So..., I Don't Know what else to say since I
Never Saw the Bird... I Didn't Hear or See Anything while I was out there
today, but it was Raining/Misting and just a Gloomy...

I did See the Eastern Screech Owl poking his head out of his Box, which
Surprised me!!! Other than that, there were (2) DC Cormorants this time... I
didn't have much time to Look, so I don't have much more to add...

I realized that my Instructions as to where the "Dickcissel" "Hearing" was, was
a little hard to Understand, so I will try to Clarify it:

When you are Driving INTO Eagle Bluffs and you Pass By the River Access Road
(Where the Eastern Screech Owl and Woodcocks are being Seen), continuing
on down the Main Road, on your Right you will quickly Pass By another very
short access Road that is Gated, the "Field" (on the Right) that is just Past
this short Road is where I Heard the Calls. On the EBCA Map it is Called
the "River Supply Channel", and it is just before the Distribution Channel... I
Heard it around 10-15 yards past the short Gated Road, and quite a bit Before
you get to Any of the Water that is slowly Draining away...

There used to be Lots of Sunflowers in this Field, and the American Gold-
Finces Loved it!!! Last Year, this Area was one of the Most
Densely "Populated" Dickcissel Locations that I would pass by... They were
Everywhere!!!

I Hope that this Helps, and I Hope that you Find the Bird, whomever He/She
maybe!!! Thank You for your Help, Please Take Care.

Yours,
Jonathan B. Pons

P.S. Down in Gainesville, Florida this past February, I heard a "Symphony" of
probably (30-35+) Brown Thrashers and (12-15) Northern Mockingbirds in some
Trees and Bushes along the edge of one of Payne's Prairie's Overlooks, not too
far from the La Chua Trail... I have to say it was INCREDIBLE and a little Un-
nerving, I didn't know where to Look, there were Sooo Many Different
Calls/Songs/Sounds coming from Everywhere, and All I saw were Mockingbirds
and Thrashers!!! Oh yea, there were 3-4 Gray Catbirds that I'm assuming
were "Ushers", as they were at the Opening to the Overlook and "Talked" to
me while I was walking in to see what all the Commotion was about!!! This
Area/Overlook is just off the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail as you are Heading
towards the La Chua Trail Entrance of the Prairie - a Truly Lovely and Amazing
Place, in my Hometown of Gainesville!!!