Hello Missouri Birders,

I have been diagnosed with pneumonia and I will not be able to fulfill a
commitment I made to go to Marshfield, MO (just east of Springfield) on
Saturday, March 24 to help a group of boy scouts with their bird study merit
badge requirements.
There is a guide book which outlines the requirements and it is very
straightforward and easy. You can basically help them with whatever
requirements you would like, many of which would be covered by just taking
them bird watching and talking about birds. My plan was to take them bird
watching and have them start a field notebook/nature journal, teach them how
to use binoculars and field guides and talk about how birds fit into our
ecosystem. But what you do is up to you.
All my plan would require is finding out how many scouts will be in your
group (it will be small) from your contact (listed below) and bringing along
some 5x7 spiral notebooks and colored pencils for which you would be
reimbursed. I was also going to take along my field guides to show the boys.
You will be provided lunch (although you may want to take your own).
Louise Wilkinson is your contact for the event and her phone number is
573-364-9552. I did this for another badge last year and it was really fun.
The boys were very interested, so I stayed till about 3 pm, but I think you
could leave before that - make it just a morning class - you could check
with Louise on that. You can also go the night before if you like to camp.
Please reply to me by email if you can help. I would give my phone number,
but at this point talking touches off a painful coughing fit for me! I will
put the guide book in the mail to you right away.
Please help; I would hate to disappoint Louise and her scouts!
Lorraine McFarland
President
Ozark Rivers Audubon
www.rollanet.org/~audubon
Like music and art, love of nature is a common language that can transcend
political or social boundaries.
-- Jimmy Carter