Hi everyone,

For anyone heading to New York City sometime before April 6, there is an eco-art exhibit in the Arsenal Gallery in Central Park.  It is entitled "Silent Migration" by Brandon Ballengee.  A friend told me of the 'call for photographs' and I did contribute some to this exhibit.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get to go.  Note the panel discussion on 3/20.  I think it's a wonderful idea to use art as a medium for ecological issues.

Here's more info:

On view in the Arsenal Gallery in Central Park from March 8 through
April 6, 2007, Silent Migration is a site-specific installation by
ecological artist Brandon Ballengée. The exhibition is sponsored in
conjunction with the Human Nature/ Art and the Environment series, a
joint production of The Nature Conservancy, NYC Audubon and
Ecoartspace. A panel discussion coinciding with the exhibition will be
scheduled for March 20.

In this exhibition, Ballengée explores to local issues threatening our
bird populations. Using actual historic prints by John James Audubon,
Ballengée has cut and removed extinct and declining birds. In a
photographic series titled Electric Stars at Dawn, the artist will
demonstrate the light pollution problem that New York City buildings
create for birds. The Great Atlantic Fly-way is a large collaborative
artwork generated from hundreds of migratory bird photographs taken by
the public throughout the Americas and placed along a painted mural of
the Atlantic coastline. In addition the artist has created three
tropical dioramas contrasted by video footage of exotic birds
attempting to survive in the concrete jungle of New York City.

Over 300 species of birds visit New York City each year. Birds fly
from as far away as Patagonia and Greenland to visit our metropolis.
NYC is located along the Atlantic Migratory Bird Flyway and during the
spring and fall thousands of birds pass through the city. Many species
of birds migrate at night, and can be disoriented by illuminated
structures-particularly when weather conditions force them to fly at
lower altitudes.

The Arsenal Gallery is dedicated to examining themes of nature, urban
space, wildlife, New York City parks, and park history. It is located
on the third floor of the NYC Parks & Recreation headquarters, in
Central Park, on Fifth Avenue at 64th Street. Gallery hours are Monday
through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free.

For more information contact
Clare Weiss, Arsenal Gallery Curator
 New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
 The Arsenal, Central Park, Room 20
 New York, NY 10021
 (212) 360-8163

Silent Migration - Exploring the Connections between Art and Conservation

March 20, 2007
7:00pm

Coinciding with Brandon Ballengée's new exhibit, Silent Migration,
which confronts the challenges facing migratory birds in New York
City, The Nature Conservancy and partners will be hosting a panel
discussion to explore not only the local threats our feathered friends
encounter, but also art and its role in addressing conservation and
environmental issues.

The panel discussion will be moderated by Ecoartspace curator, Amy
Lipton, and panelists include:

. Brandon Ballengée, artist;
. Mike Feller, Chief Naturalist, NYC Parks and Recreation;
. Denise Markonish, Gallery Director/Curator, Artspace, New Haven, CT;
. Rebeka Chreshkoff, Founder, Project Safe Flight

The exhibition and panel is sponsored in conjunction with the Human
Nature / Art and the Environment series, a joint production of The
Nature Conservancy, NYC Audubon and Ecoartspace and in cooperation
with NYC Parks & Recreation.

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis County, MO