We birded parts of Busch CA, St Charles County, on the Ides of March with no dire consequenses.

  In the Fallen Oak Nature Trail area we saw:
  E Towhee male
  WB Nuthatch
  Tufted Titmouse
  Chickadee sp,
  Fox Sparrow
  Downy Woodpecker
  Red-bellied Woodpecker
  Am Goldfinch in very dull plumage
  Am Crows
  E Bluebird pair
  White-throated Sparrows
  N Cardinals
  We did NOT see or hear Pine Warbler, unfortunately.

  Across from Lake 30 we saw:
  Gr White-fronted Geese - 4 (Thanks for the tip, Brian)
  Red-winged Blackbirds singing on territory

  At Lake 36:
  E Phoebe
  Song Sparrow
  Canada Geese - 2 pair

  On the way to Lake 6
  Cedar Waxwings - 16
  Red-tailed Hawk
  Turkey Vultures
  Red-shouldered Hawk (probable)
  N Flicker
  Mourning Doves
  Am Kestrel

  At Lake 6
  Wood Ducks, DE Juncos, more WT Sparrows, more N Cardinals, another Fox Sparrow, N Mockingbird

  At Lake 33 we were treated to a stunning Red-tailed Hawk sitting in a tree above the spillway.  He could have been mistaken for Pale Male--if Pale Male were not busy with Lola in their very expensive nest across from Central Park at that moment.  We hope there are new descendants later this spring from Pale Male East and Midwest.

  On Hampton and/or other lakes we saw:
  Belted Kingfisher - 1 male
  Ring-necked Ducks
  Mallards
  Scaup sp.
  N Shovelers

  On a BDR back to Des Peres Park we made a stop in west St Louis County.
  From overlooks on private property above the heronry across from Castlewood State Park, we observed Great Blue Herons sitting and standing on about 30 nests.  What a sight!
  And from Dottie and John's back patio we looked down on a small lake populated by a single drake Bufflehead accompanied by 4 females!  When she and John moved in two years ago, they were greeted by Buffleheads welcoming them to their new home.  The Buffleheads had disappeared by the next day and did not reappear last spring or until Thursday.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County.

  .

  :