I birded Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City, Missouri, again this morning. Basically I wanted to see if any more shorebirds had arrived in the area. They had not!

  Waterfowl I observed on the refuge: Snow Goose, Ross's Goose, Canada Goose, Trumpeter Swan (13), Wood Duck, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Hooded Merganser and Ruddy Duck ( I estimated about 500 of these "ruddies").

  I did NOT see the American Black Ducks (we had seen a pair last Saturday), Common Merganser or Greater White-fronted Goose.

  I saw two (2) Long-billed Dowitchers (probably the same two we had seen last Saturday), four (4) Greater Yellowlegs and forty (40) Wilson's Snipe.

  Two Horned Grebes (in basic plumage) were seen in the south end of Eagle Pool.

  A Bald Eagle continues to sit tight on the nest (next to the road) on the west side of the auto loop (I assume incubating the egg (eggs)). I encountered three subadult Bald Eagles. One (third year bird) was attempting to feed on a muskrat (I do not know if the eagle had killed it or if it was "road kill"). Five or more Northern Harriers were hunting over the marshy areas of the refuge.

  I counted approx. 100 Tree Swallows flying over Eagle Pool.

  Not too many sparrows today (lots of wind), but I did manage to see American Tree Sparrows (25), Fox Sparrows (2), White-throated Sparrow (1) and Harris's Sparrows (2).

  ** I have been keeping my "yes open" for the Pileated Woodpeckers, but have not seen or heard them on my last two trips to the refuge.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County