This evening in Tower Grove Park, I found a Red-breasted Nuthatch (my first
ever in the park) in the oaks to the west of the tennis courts. An adult male
Great Horned Owl was perched in a pine across the field to the south, and
sang repeatedly. In and around the Gaddy Garden, I had two dozen Fox
Sparrows, one Swamp Sparrow, one male and one female Eastern Towhees, a
Brown Thrasher, an Eastern Phoebe, quite a few Ruby-crowned Kinglets, one
extraordinarily pale Robin, and a Starling doing a very convincing Nighthawk
impression.

The bubbler is working, and fresh straw-covered mud all the way down
through the field below would suggest the drain has been redone, but
nevertheless the area was still exceptionally soggy, with quite a few standing
puddles. I wonder why that's been such a difficult problem to solve?

David Scheu
St. Louis, MO