I headed up to Squaw Creek NWR early Saturday morning and did a "solo trip" around the refuge. Later I joined a group of Chillicothe birders at 10:00 AM at the headquarters. Our birding party then encountered about 68 species of birds in and around Squaw Creek Refuge. ** In the Chillicothe group were Ted and Susie Rights, Doris Fitchett, Myrna Carlson and Terry McNeely.

  Twenty-two species of waterfowl were seen by all (with a couple of exceptions which I had seen on my "first go round").
  Seen were Greater White-fronted, Snow, Ross's (we counted 40 in a mixed flock of Snows/Ross's of approximately 250 birds) and Canada Geese. A total of fourteen (14) Trumpeter Swans were seen out in Pintail Pool on the refuge's west side. Ducks included Wood Ducks, Gadwall (many), American Black Duck (2,spotted by Terry M. and seen by all), Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback (many), Redhead (1,seen on my early "solo" trip around), Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser (1, my "solo" trip) and Ruddy Duck.

  We all watched as thirteen (13) Wild Turkeys crossed the road in front of us.

  We were treated to one Horned Grebe (still in winter plumage) at the south end of Eagle Pool. Numerous Pied-billed Grebes were scattered around the refuge pools. American White Pelicans, Double-crested Cormorants and one Great Blue Heron were observed. Turkey Vultures are definitely back in the area. Only one Bald Eagle was seen sitting deep down in the next on the west side of the loop road which encircles the refuge. Other raptors observed were Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks, Red-tailed Hawks and a couple of American Kestrels. American Coots are arriving in ever increasing numbers.

  Shorebirds seen were: Long-billed Dowitchers (2), Least Sandpiper (1), Pectoral Sandpiper (1) and quite a few Wilson's Snipe. Only a couple of Ring-billed Gulls were detected.

  "Dickey" birds were added to our day's list: Red-bellied and Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Loggerhead Shrike, Blue Jay, American Crow, Horned Lark, Tree Swallow, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, White-breasted Nuthatch, Eastern Bluebird, American Robin, European Starling, American Tree Sparrow, Song Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Great-tailed Grackle (seen around the grain elevators in Mound City), House and American Goldfinch (seen near the sewage lagoons east of the grain elevators) and House Sparrow (in Mound City).

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County