Last evening I took a quick spin through Eagle Bluffs in hopes of seeing the
Golden Eagle.  As I was driving on the second one way loop, I noticed a
kettle of vultures over the bluffs near Pool 15 and the Perche Creek river
bluffs.  Following Brad's suggestion, I put my binocs on the birds and sure
enough as one turned in the sun, you could easily see the bronzish coloring
across the inner wings and back.  As I drove in that direction to get a
better look,  they continued on down the creek toward the Missouri River and
disappeared from view.  I waited at the end of the road about 30 minutes,
hoping for them to return back up the creek bluff for better looks.
Eventually one-by-one the vultures started to re-appear coming upstream
along the bluffs, but the eagle had not returned with them.  Don't know if
he made an end run back up the  Missouri River or not.

There also was a juvenile Bald Eagle on the ground in pool 10 probably
snacking on something; the adult Balds in/near the nest; a couple of
Harriers working the fields; and at least 6 RT Hawks circling the newly
burned areas in the Pools 14-15 --- so there are a lot of raptors to pick
through at Eagle Bluffs right now.

Snipe have definitely returned - at least 50 were visible in different
locations; the pelicans were tucked back in one of the "not road" accessible
pools, but as evening came they started to take flight.

Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO