MoBirders,

Last April 1 Tom Bormann found 2000 American Golden-plovers along Glacial Sand/Keeteman (I presume he was lost).  Today I went by the fields to follow up on Charlene's posting of a couple of days ago.

I counted 75,76, 77...and counting, AMGP when the whole flock took flight.  I thought I startled them, but then I noticed a low flying falcon, 2 feet off the ground, giving a lazy pursuit.  I immediately promoted the bird to Prairie Falcon, over the actual Merlin (after I jumped out of the truck and put the bins on it)-still a good bird.

There were double my count -more than 150 plovers took flight when the Merlin spooked them.  They flew north and toward the river; a couple of minutes later at the far end of the field I found about 50 more plovers and 3 greater yellowlegs bathing in a small fluddle.

This field definitely needs watching over the next couple of weeks.  Lots of hawks in the trees, watching.  Might get a Prairie Falcon after all.

I had 30 Rusty Blackbirds on Glacial Sand in the small pond on the right just as you turn off of Keeteman.

Yesterday I had 3 hen pheasant at BK Leach- a first for me at this location.

Good Birding
David Rogles
St. Charles Co

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com