I saw 18 species of waterfowl, not 18 species of shorebirds.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Larry Lade
  To: Robert Fisher
  Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:40 PM
  Subject: Re: L. Contrary, oxbows, Smithville, 3/8

  Hi, Bob,

  You mention in your post that you saw 18 shorebirds. I assume that this was a total of individual birds that you saw including Killdeer. Was that what you were intending? Did you see other shorebirds besides Killdeer?

  Just curious.

  I missed the Eastern Phoebe, but I did see three Bald Eagles at Mud Lake, two adults and one immature. Also one more adult Bald Eagle at Lewis and Clark SP. There were about 30 Common Mergansers on Mud Lake when I was there.

  There have been a lot of Canvasbacks at Lake Contrary recently. About 150 were there a couple of days ago.

  Larry

  Robert Fisher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    I went to Lake Contrary today to see the swans reported there by Larry Lade,
    but I did not find them. I did find one imm. TRUMPETER SAWN at Lewis &
    Clark S.P. I missed the Greater Yellowlegs. My best find on L. Contrary was
    >50 Canvasbacks, a large number for western MO. There were also >20
    Shovelers there. It seems a bit early for them to be moving in numbers.

    There were quite a few White-fronted Geese on Muskrat Lake. Mud Lake was
    empty. There were lots of Western Meadowlarks singing around Muskrat Lake
    and farther south.

    I did wind up with 18 shorebirds for the day, including a few at Smithville
    Lake.

    I was pleased to hear 2 Carolina Wrens and to see one EASTERN PHOEBE at Bean
    Lake, both FOY species for me. I had been worried that the cold weather
    might have killed the wrens off.

    I saw the same sparrows that Larry did, although my Fox and Harris Sparrows
    were in different locations.

    Bean Lake has me scratching my head. There is a lot more open water near the
    RV Park and in the north area, which suggests that it is finally filling up.
    However, much of the marsh area where the egrets were last year has dried
    up, which suggests that the water level at that end must be lower than last
    year. Hopefully, there will be more rain.

    There was a large flock of White Pelicans on Bean Lake near the RV Park.
    Lots of Killdeer everywhere.

    I got to Smithville Lake at 4:30 and had to leave for a meeting an hour
    later. When I left, a tremendous gull roost was developing, but I saw only
    Ring-bills. There were still quite a few Am. Goldeneye on the lake, the
    males doing their head bobbing courtship display. However, almost all of the
    Common Mergansers have moved on. I did see a nice male RED-BREASTED
    MERGANSER near the dam. Also, both scaup and quite a few Ring-necked Ducks.

    I saw three HARLAN'S HAWKS today. Although, there are Red-tails on the nest,
    it is clear that some of the visiting Red-tails are still here.

    I did not see an eagle today. Nor did I see any large flock of Snow Geese
    flying or feeding.

    All told, it was a beautiful day, and I recorded 61 species. The migration
    is still slow, but it is picking up.

    Bob Fisher
    Independence, Missouri

    * *
    * To access the Audubon Society of Missouri Web *
    * Site: http://mobirds.org *