This morning I observed eighteen (18) species of waterfowl on the oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph. The Canvasback remain in good numbers (I counted 56 of them this morning). The area of the lake they were on is so shallow that they were feeding like dabbling duck, tip up bums in the air. They did not have to "dive for their dinner" the way they usually do. The mergansers were mostly gone from the lakes today. There were no Hooded Mergansers and just a few Common Mergansers present. Also, I only saw one Common Goldeneye, a female.

  The Greater Yellowlegs remains on the western end of Lake Contrary where the water is only a few inches deep. In addition to the Killdeer there was one, lone, little "peep" way out on a "mud spit" seen (remotely) from the boat dock. I tried to zoom in on it with my KOWA but the drizzle,fog,mist and distance made an identification impossible. I imagine that it was a Least/Baird's/Semipalmated Sandpiper! I wish it had been closer and the weather had been better, but that's the way it goes!

  Sparrows seen in the area were American Tree, Savannah, Song, Harris's and the "soon to be departing" Dark-eyed Juncos. Here in northwest Missouri they usually are not seen after "income tax day", April 15.

  *Until further notice just assume that the Eurasian Collared-Doves and Great-tailed Grackles may be seen daily at the Saint Joseph Stockyards.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate