While birding White River Trace this morning I stood in grassy wet area in what looked like excellent habitat for sparrows and started to pish, immediately up pops a towhee, he sits there in plain view not fifteen feet in front of me at eye lever, and looks me right in the eye. I then change from pishing to a E. Screech Owl whistle and immediately the towhee heads for cover, while sounding the alarm. I wait a minute and begin to pish again, and sure enough up he pops, again we are eye to eye like gunfighters of the old west. I whistle one more time and immediately he dives for cover, I could hear the aggravation in his voice as he walked along the forest floor. I wait a couple seconds and pished one more time and just like the last two time he jumps right up. I then move to let him know I am there, he stares at me one more time as we both back down and take off in different directions. I sometimes wonder who is entertaining who!

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO