In addition to the waterfowl listed by Susan, Steve Kinder and I (who also made a trip up to the refuge) also saw:

  Greater White-fronted Goose
  Blue-winged Teal
  Green-winged Teal
  * Later on Lake Contrary in Saint Joseph we found one, male Red-breasted Merganser. *

  Over on the west side of the refuge, flying over Pelican Pool, we observed a single Sandhill Crane.

  We stopped by Bob Brown CA on our way back to Saint Joseph intending to drive the loop and check out the wetlands. We were disappointed to find the gate closed to the refuge. The sign on the closed gate stated it would be closed until January 15. We are a little past that time now and would hope that birders would now have THEIR chance to drive the refuge! At any rate, we were able to walk the boardwalk and at the end we looked out over part of the refuge and saw what I believe may have been a Peregrine Falcon perched atop what appeared to be a downed Snow Goose. Steve and I decided to go back to the locked and gate and walk in to get a better look at this raptor. Needless to say by the time we got within viewing distance of the bird, it had flown. A rather fustrating episode!

  We were however rewarded with a look at two "fly away" Wilson's Snipe as we walked into the area along the "closed to vehicles" road.

  One last stop, before picking up the girls for dinner, was at Lake Contrary where we went to where I had been seeing the single Greater Yellowlegs. This afternoon there were three (3) at this site at the west end of Lake Contrary.

Susan Seyboth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Yesterday afternoon, after the rain cleared, I drove to Squaw Creek NWR.
There were lots of waterfowl to see, and included the following species:
Snow Goose (I quesstimate 100s of thousands)
Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan (3 adult, 2 immature)
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Widgeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Canvasback
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Hooded Merganser
Ruddy Duck (in winter plumage)
Pied-billed Grebe
American Coots (100s)
Other birds seen: Bald Eagle (one on a nest), Northern Harrier,
Broad-winged Hawk (I'm not positive about the ID on this bird), Killdeer,
Ring-billed Gull, Red-winged Blackbird, and American Goldfinch.

It was a great afternoon of birding!

Susan Seyboth
Kansas City, MO

Larry Lade