Rose Ann Bodman and I decided to take the Birders Direct Route to probably the FARTHEST pine warbler location on the Missouri side of the 50-mile radius --- Hawn State Park.  It was a gorgeous sunny day and we were not disappointed.  We heard five or six Pines as we entered the park, but they each stopped singing before we could locate one for a look. A calling Eastern Screech Owl remained out of sight over the ridge.  So we went downhill to the campground and picnic area along Pickle Creek and ate our sandwich lunches.  Rose Ann saw her first of year Eastern Phoebe/s. One or two were calling. There were loads of cars and motorcycles in the parking area, but it was amazingly quiet.  We heard Pines, WB Nuthatches, Red-bellied Woodpeckers and the phoebes.  Back at the top near the Headquarters, we heard a close Pine Warbler and this one was flying from tree to tree.  Eureka!  Rose Ann spotted him -- a gorgeous bright yellow calendar bird -- and we followed him around the
 grove of short-leaf pines, seeing him every few minutes. A couple sharing binoculars, after querying us, also watched him in the top of one of the pines.

  We took county route O back to US Hwy 61/67, checking again for Black Vultures from the entrance to Gray Hawk (formerly Rocky Ridge Ranch) without success.  On to Chemical Lime/Tower Rock Quarry just north of Ste Genevieve with the same result...TV's but no BV's.
  Then back up Hwy 61 to County V turnoff for the beautiful Magnolia Hollow CA.  A pair of Eastern Bluebirds, a couple of soaring Red-tailed Hawks, and from the Mississippi River overlook...three Am White Pelicans and a few Ring-billed Gulls.  Rose Ann discovered we could look back at Tower Rock Quarry through the leafless trees as well as across the river at the South Levee area of Illinois.

  We stopped for a very early barbecue supper on the way back to St Louis.  Looking forward to a return visit later in the spring or early summer when the fields and trees are dressed in green and nesting tanagers are about.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County