I went to Lake Contrary today to see the swans reported there by Larry Lade,
but I did not find them.  I did find one imm. TRUMPETER SAWN at Lewis &
Clark S.P.  I missed the Greater Yellowlegs. My best find on L. Contrary was
 >50 Canvasbacks, a large number for western MO. There were also >20
Shovelers there. It seems a bit early for them to be moving in numbers.

There were quite a few White-fronted Geese on Muskrat Lake. Mud Lake was
empty. There were lots of Western Meadowlarks singing around Muskrat Lake
and farther south.

I did wind up with 18 shorebirds for the day, including a few at Smithville
Lake.

I was pleased to hear 2 Carolina Wrens and to see one EASTERN PHOEBE at Bean
Lake, both FOY species for me. I had been worried that the cold weather
might have killed the wrens off.

I saw the same sparrows that Larry did, although my Fox and Harris Sparrows
were in different locations.

Bean Lake has me scratching my head. There is a lot more open water near the
RV Park and in the north area, which suggests that it is finally filling up.
However, much of the marsh area where the egrets were last year has dried
up, which suggests that the water level at that end must be lower than last
year. Hopefully, there will be more rain.

There was a large flock of White Pelicans on Bean Lake near the RV Park.
Lots of Killdeer everywhere.

I got to Smithville Lake at 4:30 and had to leave for a meeting an hour
later. When I left, a tremendous gull roost was developing, but I saw only
Ring-bills. There were still quite a few Am. Goldeneye on the lake, the
males doing their head bobbing courtship display. However, almost all of the
Common Mergansers have moved on. I did see a nice male RED-BREASTED
MERGANSER near the dam. Also, both scaup and quite a few Ring-necked Ducks.

I saw three HARLAN'S HAWKS today. Although, there are Red-tails on the nest,
it is clear that some of the visiting Red-tails are still here.

I did not see an eagle today. Nor did I see any large flock of Snow Geese
flying or feeding.

All told, it was a beautiful day, and I recorded 61 species. The migration
is still slow, but it is picking up.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri