Yesterday I birded several CAs in Atchison county.  Waterfowl are no longer
using the river banks as they were a week ago.  At Brickyard Hill, Eastern
Phoebe was singing, Red-shouldered Hawks were searching the ground below
their perch, and Turkey Vultures had already made it to the state line in NW
Missouri.

This time of year Snow Geese call all night as they fly over the house.
Does anyone know if they feed in the dark as well as daytime,  or are they
just migrating?  It is normal for me to hear them about every hour from dark
until dawn.

Thousands of Snowgeese were concentrated in fields adjacent to I-29 all the
way to the Iowa state line yesterday.

The Missouri river has large plastic and metal barrels all along the banks
throughout Holt and Atchison counties.  Shouldn't it be illegal to discard
those into the river along with all the other garbage floating alongside?
That reminds me of something I read last month about a flotsam of garbage in
the ocean which is miles wide.  People are turning the oceans into one big
dump.

Tommie Rogers
Mound City, MO