Bill Eddleman's post that woodcocks like a more transitional stage of forest
growth than the now-mature second growth forest that has replaced many
abandoned Missouri farms, makes a lot of sense to me.

Is not the more transitional forest also Ruffed Grouse habitat?  And aren't
they dying out in Missouri? Is anything being done (should anything be
done?) to recreate such habitat?

Perhaps some logging is a good idea, especially when the logged area is
allowed to grow back to forest.

To use a different example, I have been watching the brushy areas of Weston
Bend State Park grow up and up. Fourteen years ago, there were Bell's Vireos
all over the park. Now, they are just about gone. I also fear for the
Blue-winged Warblers, White-eyed Vireos and Yellow-breasted Chats that breed
there.  As the brush becomes early sucession forest, I'm afraid we'll lose
them too, although perhaps the Woodcock habitat at Weston Bend will
increase.

 The process of regrowing forests has its pluses and minuses for birders,
doesn't it?

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri