Some shorebirds are accumulating at Squaw Creek NWR:
American Golden Plover, Long-billed Dowitcher, Greater and Lesser
Yellowlegs, Wilson's Snipes and Killdeer.
Sandhill Crane calls are echoing across the prairie.  Thousands (approx.
300,000) of geese (Canada, Cackling, White-fronted, Snow, Ross's) are still
present but some of the ducks seemed to have moved northward.  There are
very few Common Mergansers remaining.  More than a thousand Buffleheads are
present.  Common Goldeneyes, Canvasbacks, Gadwall, Wood Ducks, Ring-necked
Ducks, Lesser Scaup, Northern Shovelers, Mallards, Hooded Mergansers,
Green-winged Teal and Blue-winged Teal are still abundant.  Redheads,
American Wigeon, Ruddy Ducks,  and N Pintail are more scarce.  Woodcocks are
peenting near the entrance.  Trumpeter Swans and American White Pelicans are
still here.
There are literally millions of blackbirds, more than I have ever seen
present here for roosting.  They swarmed across the marsh grasses like a
thick black smoke, and thousands roosted in each one of the treetops.  I
actually felt somewhat clostrophobic this evening as the black cloak of
birds streamed above and around me on the prairie.  Their flocks seemed
endless.  I wished I had an umbrella above me, too, just as a precaution. I
wonder if those feelings were similar to what people experienced when
passenger pigeons flew over.
Unseasonably warm temperatures may push the geese out of here this week.
Bald Eagles seem to be gone except for the breeding pair and a couple of
immatures.

Tommie Rogers
Mound City, MO