MoBirders,
Larry's post about the woodcock season reminded me a time last year when I met a fellow coming out of the Pineteum at Busch, dragging a dead crow by one wing.  I asked him about it and he said they were a 'challenge' - mind you he had a gun and camoflage -
--I asked if he ate them...no, but he had tried them did not care for the taste.  Now he just mounts them as trophies.

I was working at a grain elevator many years ago when I recently tranplanted city fellow told us about his successful turkey hunt.  Seems he was sitting quietly for a long time without seeing anything and then he noticed a turkey circling overhead and bam! he had supper.  Hard to cook though, he said it smelled bad and he had to pressure cook it to make it edible.  No one clued him in, though we had a good laugh when he left.

Sunday I found a Red-tailed hawk, shot, still perched on the tree limb where it was roosting.  Head flopped over and one leg knocked off, but the biology worked as it was supposed to-the other leg was locked in place and holding the bird up.

Nothing makes a white man dumber than putting a gun in his hand.

Good birding
David Rogles

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com