Today, six of us spent the day at Grand Pass CA.  Our official recorder will
be posting to CACHE, and I don't have the exact numbers but I believe we saw
over 60 species and spent little time in the woods!  The wetlands and pools
look great, and 100's of thousands of Snow Geese swirled in the air.  I
believe we had 13 species of ducks; Ross's and Greater White Fronted Geese
in addition to the Snows, and a few Canada here and there.

We were delighted when 13 Sandhill Cranes flew overhead "chortling" as they
went;  they did not appear to lose attitude, so we are uncertain as to
whether they landed anywhere on the refuge.

We also had five species of shorebirds - Greater and Lesser yellowlegs,
Baird's Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe, and Killdeer.  The
first four were in small numbers, but an indicator that shorebirding time is
about to begin.  Killdeer are everywhere!

Only TWO of our party saw the lone pheasant (which means that four of us
have to go back!).
Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO