Thanks to Norma Zier, who told me where to find Woodcocks in Eastern Jackson
County and even joined me for tonight's display.

Take Wyatt Rd. from 7 Hiway (opposite Colonial Nursery), Blue Springs, east
about a mile to a parking lot at the end. There is some nice prairie there,
which is part of the Jim Bridger Conservation Area. There was lots of
Woodcock activity tonight, including 50-75 or more peents, plenty of
in-flight chirping and twittering and some sightings of flying birds. At one
point, two birds zoomed by at a low elevation and landed 150 feet away in
the grass. Whether one male was chasing another or a female was following a
male to a place of assignation I do not know. On several occaisions, a lone
bird flew up and hovered visibly overhead for 5-10 seconds. Another bird
flew by at close range about 15 feet over the ground.

The show started at about 6:30 p.m. CST and was most intense for about 20
minutes after that.

If you live in Eastern Jackson County and want Woodcock, that's the place to
go.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri