The red crossbill that was at two of our feeders Mar 7 was back again early
this morning (at least it was a single male).    This might be the only lone
crossbill in the two-state area, but I doubt it.    The only others I have
seen (KC area and in north) were in flocks as this one would be if he had
read the books, and also there were no house finches in the area.    If
birders are checking house finches for purple finches,  they would probably
catch a crossbill, but this morning in dim light I was struck by how easily
a single could be confused.   What I noticed first was the bill looked
larger (without binoculars), and whole bird seemed chunkier.    Chunky head,
darker wings, red over more of body are things I could make out with
binoculars,  but it would have been easy to pass over, especially since it
was gone before there was enough DST light.    I may have missed him on
intervening mornings,  when I was not yet up to look.  And this was from
about ten feet away in a sunflower seed feeder outside the window.   T

Dick Dawson
5804 Charlotte  (Brookside area)
Kansas City,  Mo, 64110
816-361-9141