This recent thread of nemesis bird postings has been absolutely delightful
to read.
 The Spruce Grouse and White-tailed Ptarmigan stories have been most
appealing to me.
 I have been up Trail Ridge Road probably at least 12 times, always peering
at the landscape close to the road the entire way; almost missing the
beautiful views because I'm always looking for White-tailed Ptarmigan. Makes
my eyes sore thinking about the strain of it all. Our son hiked Longs Peak
and came back saying, "Some guy pointed out White-tailed Ptarmigans near the
trail!"
I've looked for Spruce Grouse in Maine and Minnesota. Once a group of us
followed a tip given by a fellow birder and found the Spruce sighting-spot
marked by a X made of branches (bird absent, of course). We just sat down
and observed the spot. That's as close as I've gotten to one. However the
blue grouse I've seen twice; once in Washington and once in Rocky Mountain
Nat'l. Park near Endovalley. She had a flock of chicks with her and was slow
moving away from our rocky trail, so the whole family got to see them.

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay