John, as to the sound:  There is no recording of some of the Ivory-
billed Woodpecker sounds.  Searchers have broadcast simulated
sounds.  And before anyone goes off on the obvious as to reporting
the recording as a bird, each time the recording was broadcast, all
searchers within hearing were notified beforehand, and the time was
noted in a log that is checked for time and place for any subsequent
reports.

Perhaps a simulated call is used for the Buff-collared Nightjar.  And
that is another can of worms.

Sitting at the current "hotspot" for the species (not one mentioned
by Bob), a guy leading a group from the southeast [not a major tour
guide] showed up and played the sounds.  No problem.  Some said they
could hear the response; I heard frogs, lots of frogs.  Then the guy
cranked up an owl tape to full blast to demonstrate to his people
what he had been hearing in the background.  Result:  if the nightjar
was around it wasn't going to call after that!

We stayed around for the night, hoping to hear it about dawn.  First
trying sleeping in the car (major thunderstorm), then putting up a
tent  (major mosquitoes).  No bird.

If some of you question my self control, a point in favor of me
having a modicum is that the guy is still walking around.  I ran into
him in Florida subsequently, and he is still walking around,
apparently intact.

As to the Common Black Hawk--it is there in that canyon, but one has
to pay heavy dues.  In our case it was a major breakdown of one of
our 3 vehicles in 100 degree heat with no shade 30 miles from the
nearest town.  Ahhh, the exhilaration of birding adventures.  This
was the same trip that we awoke to our airmattresses floating in 4
inches of water--in the tent.

Now, Bob.  As to that commoner thing.  You do have my nemesis bird,
the Grrfalcon.  So do most of the folks I regularly bird with.  And
the cap of the subject is that you were leading a trip in Kansas
attended by a bunch of Columbia birders when you found one--in
Kansas, for Pete's sake!  I had intended to be on that trip but, oh,
what a good girl am I, I chose to stay in Columbia to help people
find the home with the Calliope Hummingbird visiting a feeder.

Bodacious birding to all (except maybe that guy with the Boston accent)

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO