I used similar packing protocol when I flew from MCI to LAX last
November, and (to my knowledge) my carry-on and checked baggage
remained unopened both ways. At LAX, security paid more attention to
the sweatshirt I was wearing (they don't like layers) than my carry-
on full of high-dollar optics, camera, iPod, etc.

It may also be useful to only pack one layer in your carry-on. In
other words, don't pack your binoculars under your scope (when the
carry-on is lying flat) -- pack them flat and side-by-side so they
are easily distinguished on the x-ray.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)