There is an interesting and lengthy article in today's Kirkwood-Webster County Journal about Horned Guans by Shawn Clubb.  Nice to read an intelligent and accurate article about a bird.   I was fortunate to see the Trinidad Piping Guan in Trinidad last year and the Crested Guan in Belize this year.  They are very impressive birds in both size and behavior.   We were told about the attempts to protect the Trinidad Piping Guans, but nothing was said about the guans in Belize except that they are now only found on protected lands.   We didn't see a guan in Guatemala.  We were told by the guides that the Oscillated Turkey, Guans and Curassows are hunted for food in Central America.  I look forward to seeing the Horned Guans at the zoo and hope they successfully breed there!

Pat Lueders